5 Property Management Pest Control Concerns and Their Solutions
Pests can impact your tenants’ lives and your property values. If your commercial property has pests, you need commercial pest management from Corbett Exterminating.
1) Who is Responsible for Commercial Pest Control?
If you’re a property manager for any kind of rental property, you know you’re responsible for the health and safety of your tenants—this responsibility can include the prevention and extermination of pests.
Almost every state and even some towns or other municipalities have laws in place that dictate who the burden falls on for commercial pest control. It’s important for you, as the property manager, to understand your rights and the rights of your tenants.
Here at Corbett Exterminating, we strive to help all commercial properties remain compliant with state and city laws in all our service areas, including:
- New Jersey
- New York
- And more!
2) How Can I Pest-Proof my Property?
There are a few tips that can keep your commercial property pest concerns to a minimum. For example, you can:
- Dispose of garbage properly—make sure your tenants are actually putting their bags in the garbage container!
- Keep any basements or crawl spaces well ventilated and free from moisture.
- Seal all cracks and holes in the exterior of your property and don’t forget to check around entry points for utilities.
- Ensure there is proper drainage around your property.
- Clean high-volume areas daily, especially areas where crumbs are likely to build up.
- Replace weather-stripping and loose mortar around your building’s foundation, windows, and doors.
Still have pests? Give Corbett a call today at 908-709-9777 to talk to one of our friendly exterminators about how we can help your property become pest-free!
3) What are the Most Problematic Pests in Commercial Properties?
The kind of pests that could be plaguing your commercial facility can vary from state to state, facility type, and more. However, there can be a few common pests invading your property.
- Ants: Ants can be a problem pretty much anywhere. They enter a building in search of food, shelter, or water. Because they’re social insects, they can live in colonies of thousands or more. If one is spotted, that means more are lurking right around the corner.
- Cockroaches: Cockroaches are an inevitable pest for apartment complexes, condos, and other commercial properties. They most often make their way into your property through cardboard boxes. In the age of online shopping, that means a lot of boxes come and go through your property! Cockroaches are incredibly important to get rid of as they can spread almost 33 different kinds of bacteria, including Salmonella and E. coli. They can also trigger allergic reactions and make asthma symptoms worse.
- Bed Bugs: Bed bugs have made a comeback in recent years, becoming an incredibly common pest in multi-family properties. Landlords and property managers should never attempt to treat bed bugs on their own, always hire a pest management company to handle your bed bug removal.
4) How can Pests Enter my Property?
There are various points of entry on your property available for pests. These access points can include:
- Nearby properties- if the building next door has a pest problem, it might soon become your pest problem.
- Ductwork and pipes- heat and moisture from plumbing and heating make for the perfect harborage area for pests in the winter.
- Your tenants- creating loose guidelines for tenants can go a long way towards helping tenants keep pests out.
5) How do I Know When to Call Pest Control?
It’s important for property managers and landlords to know when to call pest control. Having an established relationship with a professional pest control company that specializes in commercial work is incredibly important for a pest-free property.
With our comprehensive solutions, Corbett Exterminating is the perfect choice for your property management pest control. Give us a call today to see how we can help you.
We offer pest control services in: